View Single Post
Old 08-28-2006, 01:09 AM

Default Re: Underpair, protected pot, etc

I would rather lead flop or check-and-see (probably check-calling but sometimes check folding; in those cases where I check-call, I'd likely be donking or C/R turn on favorable card). The flop screams draw for someone running a C/R and by C/Ring you're (1) unlikely to get anyone to fold a hand you'd like to fold offering the odds you are -- and the hands you don't want to fold are pretty few and far inbetween, and (2) making the pot large enough to make turn peels not only attractive to the average donk but also correct for a huge range of hands. With the pfr to your immediate left, and assuming you're leading the turn in most cases, you've presented Button with an opportunity to call closing the turn action getting like 9:1 unless UTG raises (and if UTG raises, you've got to consider that you're way behind). I'd really rather lead the flop in a hand like this absent knowing something particular about UTG's play. With a hand like this on a flop like this, I think you need to prioritize getting players to fold incorrectly (if they knew your actual hand) or at the very least protecting your hand by offering poor odds for a call from those hands that could call absent some action on your part -- your flop line works against both these potential objectives, both on the flop and on later streets.