View Single Post
Old 08-27-2006, 10:23 PM

Default Re: How to counter the idiot at the table?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think so -- preflop is bad (just fold K9 for 1.5 bets OOP), and calling two more bets on the flop is dubious, but the K9 is not the "idiot" in question.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're playing way too tight against this guy.

Tight doesn't mean just preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure I'm understanding.

From the perspective of the K9, I bet my top pair of nines, king kicker. Maniac raises, but that's OK because he's a mainac and could have anything. Mister 2+2 who seems like a strong player and was the preflop raiser now three-bets. I'm getting 8.5 : 1 (by my count, 17 bets and I have to call two), but I'm not closing the betting.

This seems to me to be a dictionary example of "reverse implied odds". I may well have the best hand and it may well hold up, but I'm going to be paying a lot of money between now and the river to find out.

Now, you're saying that I should hang in there with my K9? I haven't played LHE in a while and I was probably never that good at it, but that just seems like trouble.

But maybe as a five-out drawing hand that might even be best, it's somewhat justifiable. I'd figure at a wild table with a four-bet cap that I'm probably paying three more bets, against an expected pot of 23 hence a little less than 8:1, to take a turn card off and reassess. As it turned out Maniac didn't cap it, but it sounds like that was a bit of a surprise.