View Single Post
Old 08-25-2006, 05:03 PM

Default Re: How to counter the idiot at the table?

Caveat: I've converted to NL now so my LHE is rusty.

Just because there's one LAG at the table, you have to consider input from the other presumably solid players. In the hand you posted, the flop play was fine but on the turn you should probably realize you're beaten. (EDIT: I'm not sure you can fold the turn for one bet if SB would be likely to semibluff a flush draw + pair, and then the river is a tough fold even for two bets getting 10:1. Crying calls may be OK here, but realize that you only have to win once in ten tries to make them profitable. Hell, on the turn you're almost getting odds to spike a ten!) Even given that competent player #2 is in the hand, that player knows you're in the hand and isn't going to push something marginal against resistance. His turn bet unmistakably represents at least a king, and by calling down you're expressing willingness to pay at least two bets to find out if he's bluffing.

If you must infer a general rule (as opposed to just taking this for what it is, a good starting hand that turned into a mediocre hand that you held on to for too long), everything others have said is valid. Keep playing big hands that can flop bigger. No need to tighten up too much (although the point about paying to chase draws with SCs is valid) and you can bet/raise your marginal hands against maniac, but when Thinking Player claims to have a hand you should believe him.