View Single Post
Old 08-25-2006, 01:43 PM

Default Re: You make the call

[ QUOTE ]
I guess you missed the note Rick. I think this question is much more interesting than it seems because seat 6 can be pulling an angle here to block action on the side pot post flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

She is giving away information to a player not in the pot. To clarify, that information (her hand) must be made available to all players when the hand is over.

Now her act may be a real or fake "look, I have a good hand" tell, that's for the other player still in the hand with chips to decide. That part is gamesmanship, deciding if tells are present and whether they are true or false. I don't like the fact she showed another player (even though he is not in the hand), but if anything it works against her if the last remaining player is astute.

[ QUOTE ]
What's the rule if seat 7 waits for the flop and possible side pot and seat 6 is forced to show her cards, which she'll have to do?

[/ QUOTE ]

As clarified above, she wouldn't have to show until after the entire hand is over.

[ QUOTE ]
I think the rule should still apply to prevent this type of blocking angle. Seat 6's hand is exposed and play continues.

[/ QUOTE ]

Disagree. Only after the hand must seat 6's hand be exposed.

Anyway, there are lots of angle's out there. But most "acting", e.g., lying about one's hand (or maybe not), trying to throw off false tells and so on are not angles. They are all part of the fun of poker, what I call gamesmanship. An example of an angle would be pretending to fold by pushing ones cards a little forward (enough to get a read) then retrieving them to call or raise when facing a bet.

I tend to be quiet when in a hand, but I love it when my opponents talk or do this stuff. If I occasionally mistake a false tell for a real one, then I need to get better at my reads.

~ Rick