View Single Post
Old 08-24-2006, 04:17 PM

Default Re: Set faces big river raise

I definitely agree with all of you that my flop play was really, really bad.

I disagree about preflop, however. This guy is calling all the raised pots because he wants to be a part of them. Part of the reason for a 4x BB raise here MUST be that we pick up the blinds, correct? Perhaps I'm misapplying the idea, but Sklansky discusses playing in LP when you *know* you are going to be called and suggests that the raise loses most or all of its value (unless you are raising strictly for value). I'm totally open to the idea that we want to put in a "sweetener" raise PF with this hand, but with a guy that will give us action anyway, is this really necessary?

FWIW, he had KT, and I screwed myself by not playing the flop faster. I'm a winning mid-stakes limit player, where I almost *never* slowplay sets on the flop. I'm still adjusting to NL and I think I am slowplaying too much.

Thanks to everyone who replied. More discussion about the preflop would be great. Am I correct that the reason to raise is to pick up the pot preflop or with a flop CB? My thought with this guy to my left was to let him bet inferior hands and use his aggression to let him hang himself.

Jim