Thread: TLDR Beer Club
View Single Post
Old 08-24-2006, 12:23 AM

Default Re: Black Mountain Brewery: \"Cave Creek Chili Beer\"

Clearly we have not had enough beer drinking in this forum lately. I'm going to come back and post another review. Hopefully it'll inspire some of you other guys to do the same [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

Out at the bar tonight I got myself a bottle of Brooklyn Monster, their barley wine. This beer weighs in at 11% alcohol, and oddly enough, it ran me only $4 for 12 oz bottle at this bar. I'm not sure why it's so cheap, or if this is just a price discrepancy at this bar. I'll have to check it's price at BotW. Anyway. This beer pours with very little head, which is a surprise compared to other barley wines. It doesn't have much hop aroma, either, which is even more peculiar. Instead it just smells malty, and wrought with alcohol. Taking a sip, this beer is fairly sweet, quite malty, and just barely hopped. It's quite shallow in character compared to most barley wines, but it does go down much easier, lacking the bitter hoppiness. I can pretty easily taste the alcohol. This is a strong beer. If someone wants a barley wine, this is a pretty shoddy offering, as its lack of hops make it pretty far from most other beers of this style. However, this might be a great beer for someone looking to get drunk quickly without wanting to deal with bitterness. If this is in the $7-$8 per sixer price range as its price at the bar would indicate, this beer would be pretty unmatched as far as buzz for your buck. This beer tastes more like a brown ale that's been fermented for much longer than usual rather than a barley wine, and while that's disappointing, I do like brown ales. I'm going to give this beer [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], although I considered 1.5. Barley wine lovers and hop heads shouldn't bother, but alcoholics who like brown ales might give it a go if it's cheap.