View Single Post
Old 08-20-2006, 01:24 PM

Default Re: Just enough bets?

[ QUOTE ]
If he has a hand like JJ and you keep on betting, by this point he'll get the message and just call down.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you were hinting upon a key point here.

Button is a TAG. His range for 3-betting preflop may be a little broader, given that the other guy is a fish, but we're still looking at AA-99, smaller pocket pairs, and maybe a few high card combos.

Given TAG's action on the flop, we're looking at AA-TT or a set (most of the time, anyway).

Therefore we're either way ahead or way behind.

I like the flop 3-bet, but after that it'd be best to check-call the turn.

The rationale here is that he will continue to bet hands like QQ-TT anyway, but he's gonna raise your ass yet again with AA or a set. TAG's are generally smart, and aren't gonna raise you again with QQ-TT on the turn. Therefore, if we bet the turn, we're gaining nothing when ahead, but losing when behind.

An interesting situation arises on the river. The usual WA/WB line says to bet the river. However, I think the same above noted rationale applies to the river (i.e. we're getting raised when behind, called when ahead ... and he's prolly gonna bet the river anyway again as long as it's not an Ace or King). Thus, check-call the river as well.

Just my thoughts ...
Adam