View Single Post
Old 08-20-2006, 09:44 AM

Default Re: first fantasy football auction

Thanks, Jack. And thanks to the other guy for the link.

[ QUOTE ]
Be prepared to overpay for the top RBs if you have to. If you don't, you'll end up overpaying for the other RBs.

[/ QUOTE ]

My predecessor actually left me in pretty good shape for this year. I have Edge for this year, and Ronnie Brown, Benson, and Gore through 2007. Even so, I'm going to try to grab guys like Willie Parker and Reuben Droughns for less than market value, as Larry Johnson is a free agent this year in our league, and bidding on Parker and Droughns occurs before bidding on LJ does.

[ QUOTE ]
You should be able to pick up a servicable QB for cheap, real cheap. Don't splash for Peyton.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is basically my only need area. I have Bulger, but since all indications are that the Rams are going to run more this year, I am not totally comfortable with him as my starter. There aren't a ton of options available, but I agree that you should never spend much for a quarterback; I never draft one before the 7th round or so in a draft league. I may try to just get a one-year fill-in, like Favre, Brunell, or Volek, and hopefully get Kitna cheaply.

[ QUOTE ]
Don't spend more than $1 for a kicker or defense.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, this is another place where a lot of people screw up in fantasy, in my opinion. The draft equivalent of spending too much on defense and kickers is, I guess, drafting your entire starting lineup (kicker and D/ST included) before drafting backups at any position. There are some top-ranked defenses available and I'm sure they'll go for too much, so I've identified a couple of lesser-ranked teams that have some good matchups in the early season.

-McGee