View Single Post
Old 08-17-2006, 11:34 AM

Default Re: Winrate in Stud vs Stud8?

Depends totally on your competition. At full or nearly full tables my variance is much larger than it is heads up or 3 handed. I find stud8 more misunderstood, so more profitable. I find many stud hi players sitting in a stud8 game and raising my 4 bringin with hands like QJT and sticking around only drawing at half the pot - they're literally ATM machines and short handed with that type should easily yield 6+ BB/100 hands - with many of them you are virtually guaranteed of taking their buyin(s) given enough time short handed - especially the very aggressive and the calling stations.

7stud hi is a bit harder to dominate, and I'd consider a good longterm winrate 2 or 3BB/100, unless at very low limits like 1/2 or under, where it should be double.

For 3/6 stud hi I'd expect a bit above average winning player to average 1 to 1.5BB/100 long term. And I'd expect that same ability at 3/6 stud8 to be somewhere near a full BB/100 higher.

"Long term" is just that, tens of thousands of hands. I've had plenty of 10k hand stretches up 7 or 8BB/100 and the next 10k down 3 or 4BB/100, but "long term" is like 100,000 hands - enough time to ensure everone at the table will get roughly the same cards.