View Single Post
Old 08-15-2006, 06:14 PM

Default Re: George Will: John Kerry was right about terrorism

[ QUOTE ]
Ummm, no. With respect, the "rhetoric" is the entire point. Kerry said that although the war on terror will be "occasionally military," it is "primarily an intelligence and law enforcement operation that requires cooperation around the world." At the time, the administration and other right-wingers attacked that statement. See, e.g. link, link and link.

Now, you are saying that not only was Kerry right, but that the administration recognized and recognizes that he was right and has been acting accordingly all along. All the while saying otherwise to drum up support for the Iraq war.

[/ QUOTE ]

Insofar as Kerry's position was "Finding and arresting terrorists is good." then yes, I think everyone has admitted he is right. But I doubt that anyone has ever seriously advocated not having the FBI investigate potential terrorist activity or in any other way simply ignoring the utility of law enforcement in the war on terror. The debate that went on during the campaign and which is still going on is what other measures are appropriate. That's what Kerry was being attacked over.

I think it's somewhat disingenuous to claim that a Kerry administration would be more effective at law enforcement simply because he would make it the centerpiece of his anti-terror campaign. As I intimated previously, most of what I've seen the Democratic party doing in opposition has given me little faith in their ability to do a better job.