View Single Post
Old 08-15-2006, 01:43 AM

Default Check Raise bluffing

1)

How often do you guys checkraise pure bluff? For instance, you defend in the BB with 98, flops are

i) A72 rainbow
ii) A72 twotone
iii) J66 rainbow
iv) J66 twontone
v) K72 rainbow
vi) K72 twotone

How often are you going to take a shot at these flops? I'm doing well playing fit or fold and never taking a shot at these, but provided I have a good image, and stealer is reasonable, it is actually going to be quite hard for him to have a hand good enough to call down here, if he is raising 40% of his range right?

2)
You defend J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

flop is something like

8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

my norm is to check call here, as I think he have 6 outs the majority of the time, backdoors, could get a free river etc.

does everyone check-raise a 9 or a Jack most of the time here?

How about checkraising a King, Queen or Ace? They key to checkraising a King is that you would expect the raiser to bet it almost everytime, and normally he wont have a pair of kings, and often won't have a hand good enough to call down, especially if you have a good image.

In both of these examples, what do you think about donking instead of checkraising? It costs half the price and may well work almost as often. If your opponent is reasonable and views you as solid, then he will know that your donk bet could well be a made hand, and provided you keep the chicanery to a minimum, he will give up a lot no?