View Single Post
Old 08-13-2006, 09:51 AM

Default Re: The Poker Tournament Formula by Arnold Snyder...

[ QUOTE ]
Hi 1p0kerboy:

Just thinking about your point quickly, I suspect that you may be right. Specifically, it might be right for very good players to gamble a little more in close situations in these type of quick tournaments if they can anticipate a large drop in their M in the near future because of an increase in stakes.

Thanks for making a good point.

Best wishes,
mason

[/ QUOTE ]

Let me state that other than this rare example I agree with everything you have stated in this thread. The author seems to be 'missing the point' with several of his statements.

1. Most importantly, making plays to attempt to run over the filed early on is mostly wrong in these kind of tournaments. The reason being is that the field is usually weak-passive, especially on the internet. These players don't have as much invested as a player in the bigger buy-ins. However, while finding certain stealing opportunities and exploiting them might be a little more rare, they certainly do exist.
2. He consistently refers to the tournament becoming a "crapshoot". While this portion of the tournament is very volitile, a good player certainly has a nice edge against a below average strength field. This is for several reasons. First, it is oftentimes not too difficult to get it all-in with a nice edge. Second, when you steal during this stage it is worth much more because the blinds and antes are much bigger. David Sklansky states in his book Tournament Poker for Advanced Players on page 39:

[ QUOTE ]
This book will not have a real lot to say about later round play. That might those of you who know that I believe most of a good player's profit comes in these later rounds.

[/ QUOTE ]

Once again, admittingly I have not read the book. I don't know if I'm even interested in reading it due to the fallacious concepts.

But kudos to the author for pointing out that as a skilled player you should at least seek tournaments which have a better structure as it increases your expectation. From what I understand, he even has a structure ratings system. I thought about making something like this a couple of years ago.