View Single Post
Old 08-13-2006, 12:19 AM

Default Re: TD and relative position

In 2-7/everything, I always prefer to be on the left of loose players. You'll have position on them more times than they'll have position on you. The difference between Holdem/2-7 for me is when playing with tight players. In Holdem I prefer that I'm on their right, especially shorthanded, because I want to be able to treat the CO as a second button. In 2-7 I don't care as much because there are a lot more hands that I'm going to be able to 3bet comfortably with than in Holdem, and I will have position on them. If I'm first to open that's nice, but I will unfortunately be OOP against them for the rest of the hand. This said, I think being first to open is definitely favorable in lower games where opponents are fairly predictable. If I played higher I'm guessing I'd still like to be on their right, simply for the reason that if a loose player is on my right, I would have first chance at isolating them.

If there is more than one available seat then I would get the one with best position on a loose player, specifically NOT OOP against them. While it's nice to be in a good position against a tight player, you're going to make way more being in a good spot against terrible loose idiots than against solid players.