View Single Post
Old 08-12-2006, 11:41 PM

Default Re: TD and relative position

[ QUOTE ]
Sounds like you just don't know some good ways to deal with a LAG fish on your left. That said it certainly is easiest with them on your right. In TDL and holdem and all poker games I can think of.

-DeathDonkey

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps so, although I am sure you would grant me that one loses a lot of flexibility when one has a maniac behind one in HE.

This discussion has degenerated due to me being inarticulate. So, I will restate the question. I note that Theory of Poker has the following quote at page 161:

"Position is important in relation to the playing style of the other players in the game. You prefer to have the loose, aggressive player in the game sitting to your right and the tight, conservative player to your left. Then you can usually decide how to play your hand after the aggressive player has acted, while you don't have to worry about many surprises from the conservative player. You are also in a better position to control the aggressive player and indeed trap him into mistakes."

Now, of course, a "good" TD player, and HE player for that matter, is not a tight, conservative player. But still the natural tendency is to sit right behind the loosie.

However, I am not sure that should be the main factor to consider in selecting a seat in TD. Let's say for example the game is 4 handed. There is a seat next to the weak spot in the game. He plays too many hands and takes them too far. Not super aggressive. In the seat behind that is a very good player. The seat immediately behind him is a very good player that is judicious in selecting hands, uses position well, and can be tricky at appropriate times. There's a seat behind him. The other two players are solid, but nothing special.

Where do you sit?

What if the bad player is more on the aggressive side?