View Single Post
Old 08-12-2006, 09:55 PM

Default Re: TD and relative position

I agree with 2461, that it depends. There was a player who was playing in our games a few weeks ago where having direct position on him was a nightmare. He played most hands and was very aggressive- sounds like a person to have position on, right? But he would do things like checkraise with his 7 draws, and lead out into multiple opponents while still drawing. Having position on him in multiway pots (and yes I always 3 bet when he opened) meant that I would get trapped between him and whoever hit their hand behind me. Eventually I refused to sit in the first 2 seats to his left because they were so unprofitable.

But when I sat to his immediate right it was great. I would lead into him with my pat hands and often get 3-bets in. Plus, since he was so aggressive in position he would always try to raise and force a break.

Having weak/passive players to your right is also very beneficial since they won't be coming after your big blind very often when it folds to them, and when they do you can outplay them.

Good aggressive players who are always 3-betting my raises and then using their position well behind me I obviously don't want to my left either- so it depends.

Edited to add that I want you on the other side of the table from me Soviet- I don't want you constantly messing with my blind or have position on me.