View Single Post
Old 08-11-2006, 12:02 PM

Default ($200) decisive \'bubble\' hand - misplay of 55... ?

not a regular tournament. tonight i was playing in a winner takes all [$200] tourney, i am chip leader with approx t11,00, villain sitting on about t10,000 and anohter insignificant on <t2000 (he is not a particularly strong player either... blinds are at 300 - 600 no antes.

i pick up 55 on the button and raise to 1800 - happy to take the pot down preflop or perhaps with a c- bet if an A or K come down on the flop. or of course trap if i hit the 5.

<font color="red"> MISTAKE A ? </font>

insignificant in the sb folds, BB villain takes 30 seconds then raises 2,500 on top of me. my reads so far on BB is that he is not a bad player, but overvalues hands like a8-aj, qj, qt, jt, even 9T- Especially in short handed play. i put him most likely on A9 - AQ, [but possibly KT-KQ, QT, QJ.]

i consider pushing, but decide to just call- leaving me with approx 6,700 after the flop <font color="red"> MISTAKE B ? </font> - either to push [about 4/5 the pot] or enough for me to still play and win with if i need to fold after a scary flop.

NB; at this point i did not have an accurate chip count of him, just that his stack was realtively even to mine, i wasnt sure if i had him covered but i think this is only a minor mistake as the loser of this hand would likely have only 1BB or so left if we went all in . <font color="red"> MISTAKE C ? </font>

so pot is t8,900 out of a total of 23,000. FLOP comes T, 7 , 2 rainbow. BB checks. I 95% believe he has not hit this flop. i fire out around t4,500 - leaving myself with about 2000 - essentially i want him to think that i want to be called.

<font color="red"> MISTAKE D ? </font>

he goes into the tank for like 2 minutes almost. verbalises he is sure i have pockets. then verbalises he thinks mine are above 10. i then make another potential mistake.. syaing : ' i think i have you beat at the moment, i think you need to hit one of your cards exactly to beat me'
<font color="red"> MISTAKE E? </font>

i dont know if it was what i said or how i said it, but i regretted talking straight afterwards. he lets on that he too has pockets. almost folds for a moment- i really thought he was going to. but he makes the raises all in for an extra 1000 - or so, leaving me with about 1,100.

the results are below in white i hope, it is too late for me to stay up and post results later.

i would love to hear your comments and thoughts on teh various mistakes I think i made - whetehr you would have made them too, and also how you would have played the hand differently.

*i am guessing alot of you would either push preflop, check the flop or push on the flop.

Thanks in advance guys.

<font color="white"> i call quickly- (1000 into an 18000 pot) hoping to god that he flips up 33 or 44. alas he flips up 99 and no 5s come to save me on the turn or river. i bust out next hand with J3 against his 63 when i hit a wheel and he hits the nuts. </font>