View Single Post
Old 08-09-2006, 01:44 PM

Default Defeating Jon Kyl

I don't think it's a stretch to say that Arizona Senator Jon Kyl is poker's #1 legislative enemy. He is up for re-election this November, and while he does have a lead in the race it is far from insurmountable. Kyl's main opponent is democrat Jim Pederson , and while Pederson's position on online gambling isn't known it's hard to imagine him being worse than Kyl on the issue. If poker players can stir up enough trouble for Kyl on this issue, then other politicians who are pro-banning may be more inclined to not take action.

Hopefully this thread will jumpstart some discussion on what we can do to keep Kyl from being reelected. Here are some of my thoughts... please share yours.

- Encourage friends or family who live in Arizona to vote against Kyl.

- Place an anti-Kyl ad in a magazine like Cardplayer that circulates in Arizona cardrooms. I know this isn't possible for most of us, but this might be feasible for someone like TruePokerCEO who presumably has some money.

-If you live in Arizona, vote for one of the other candidates and let your poker playing friends know why.

-Make a financial donation to the Pederson campaign.

-Contact the PPA and encourage them to find out which candidates are on our side of the issue so we can make more informed voting decisions this fall.

A lot of people play poker online, and with some effort I think we have a good chance of shaving away some of Kyl's lead.