View Single Post
Old 08-08-2006, 06:37 PM

Default Where do profits come from?

Hi All,

I have been thinking on this concept for several days, and I am quite perplexed. As a point of reference, I am relative novice and typically play low stakes limit & no limit hold'em.

I read in TOP (chapters 2 & 3) that profit comes from having an advantage over your opponents. In other words, you earn a profit when an opponent makes a "mistake".

At the lower levels, "mistakes" are frequent and blatant. People will cold call raises with A6o or K7s. Some will chase inside straights when the pot odds are not even close, and I have had many opponents call bets on the river with queen high.

Obviously, a basic understanding of the game allows me to be profitable at this level, but I am completely confused how to play at a higher level.

I would love to hear from people who can play at mid level and above how they earn profit when every one is playing reasonably sound. Is there some secret I am missing? Is there another level that I simply don't understand yet? In other words, where do profits come from when you are playing against other good players?

Cheers,

L-