View Single Post
Old 08-06-2006, 11:30 PM

Default General advice on moving to online play

I have a home game that I play every Saturday. I track my results and, on an average buy-in of $40, I make $77 profit every Saturday. The sample size is roughly six months worth of Saturday so I consider it to be relatively sufficient.

At my home game I am acknowledged as one of the best, if not the best, player in the game. However, online I frequently get extremely bored playing and end up making silly plays and stupid mistakes that I never make in my home game. Playing bad hands out of position, trying stupid bluffs that don't have a payoff worth the risk involved and other loose, overaggressive play are all good examples. Other things that end up happening is that, again because I'm bored, I let my attention wander from the tables that I am in and go into other windows to read news or forums etc.

In the home game I have the company of real, physical people in the room to keep me occupied. Online I have nothing but a bunch of faceless players, many of whom fold dozens of hands in a row waiting for THE perfect hand to play. (Not necessarily a bad strategy, but definitely a dull one.)

Are there any tricks or mental exercises that people use to keep themselves focused and alert online during long stretches of play?