View Single Post
Old 08-03-2006, 02:37 PM

Default Re: \"Don\'t answer that phone, sir!\"

[ QUOTE ]

Well, somebody is missing the point, but I don't think it's "everybody" else. The old guy was given a clear warning, "Don't answer that phone, sir!" At that point, if he chooses to answer the phone, then he is accepting the consequences.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, I give up. But I'm leaving one last parting shot:

The last two times I received a phone call in a poker room, it was my wife. The first was to tell me that she was in labor, and was en route to the hospital. The more recent time, she was in a parking lot with our children, having just escaped our apartment building, which was in flames.

I work as a dealer, and I don't care what the rules are, you will never hear me tell another person, "Don't answer that phone, sir!"

Can you imagine if somebody tried to prohibit me from taking either of those calls? Forget about killing my hand, you'd have to take me out in handcuffs, after I punched somebody in the nose.

I'm the only one who thinks "Please step away from the table when on the phone," is a better rule than, "Turn it off, don't answer it, don't look at it, don't touch it, OR ELSE!"???

EDIT: BTW, "because that's the rule!" is the worst argument so far. That's like saying, "Because we've always done it that way." I go nuts when I ask the logic behind a procedure, and I get told, "We've always done it that way." That's the worst reason in the world to do anything! Please, have a better reason than that, no matter what you're doing, for doing it that particular way.