View Single Post
Old 08-03-2006, 01:54 PM

Default Re: Should I be discouraged?

You were playing live at a classic TIGHT passive table. These are more predictable than a table occupied by a couple of LAG's, but you must play, particularly PF, by the tight set of acceptable hands rules. This can be really boring in a grind it out environment. I want a looser table, where it is easier to spot dead $, even if I face higher variances. I want to see at least 5 players see a flop unless I want a quiet session.

At the same time, asking you to think of asking for a table change as a virgin is setting way too high an expectation for your first visit. Tight tables do offer some learning advantages. They make it easier to focus on reads, isolation plays, semi-bluffing, etc., because you face fewer opponents.

Wild and woolly games take bluffing and isolation out of play, and instead emphasize pot odds and pot equity calculations in the race to no fold 'em hold 'em.

I suggest that you pick ONE or at most TWO skills you want to focus on per live session, reads, counting outs, looking for check opportunities, etc. and focus on those skills alone. IMO trying to get good at all those things at once is a guaranteed path to confusion and failure.