View Single Post
Old 08-01-2006, 11:58 AM

Default Re: Who are your top 10 college football teams -- OFFICIAL early ranki

[ QUOTE ]
I also don't know how you can say the offense will be fully loaded. Last year, the Huskers averaged something like 95 yards/game. Looking at some stats right now, the Huskers were 96th ranked in total offense (for 320 yards/game).

[/ QUOTE ]

Look at the offensive production Nebraska had the last couple of games last year once they moved Slauson and Patrick into the starting lineup at the tackle postions. In college fball, when a team finishes the season really strong and returns most of their starters, this usually means very good things for the next year.

For the first time under Callahan they have a returning starter at qb in Zach Taylor. That's huge when you consider the type of wco the huskers run.

If Matt Herian returns to form, this offense will be pretty loaded. He was the #1 receiving option on offense during Callahan's first year, until he broke his leg -- most teams were doubling him. Last year, the te position was pretty much nonexistent w/out him.

NU returns all of their key receivers, who were all underclassmen. And they've added Spain (wasn't cleared to play last year), Purify (#1 ranked juco wr), and Meno Holt (freshman stud), all of whom are fast, athletic, and 6'3 or taller.

If the Matt Herian of old is back, that's a lot of weapons in the passing game. Unfortunately, there's probably only about a 10% chance Herian's back to 100% physically from what I've heard (Disclaimer: I'm not a doctor). Even if he only catches 20 - 25 balls, that's still a huge improvement in production at te from last year.

Obviously, if the oline play doesn't substantially improve, the offense won't improve that much. IMO, the oline should be significantly better than last year.

I'm putting a lot of stock into what I've been hearing from Lincoln, with regards to how Nebraska has looked in offseason workouts. I haven't heard this magnitude of positive buzz in almost 10 years. Callahan finally has the type of personnel in place to run his wco. Do I expect Nebraska to be top 10 in offense this season? No. But realistically, they should move into the top 25-30% in offensive production in the country which combined with their nasty defense and solid special teams makes them a top 10 team.

Remember, even with the 96th ranked offense last year they were only 2 plays away from being 10 - 2.