View Single Post
Old 07-26-2006, 07:35 PM

Default Re: Stephen King: Hack or Artist?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I've started 'The Satanic Verses' a few times but really don't think much of it - could someone suggest which book is Rushdie's best? I'd like to give him another go.

[/ QUOTE ]

db,

It took me several attempts to get through Satanic Verses. I am not kidding when I say that I've read the first 30 pages four times.

Admittedly, it is at times slow and debilitatingly dense. However, it's one of those books that will also just floor you with the complexity of the allegory he constructs and the fluidity with which he writes. Rushdie's use of diction is pretty high up there as far as contemporary authors are concerned.

Anyway, it takes an investment that I think is worth it. Maybe give it another shot.

[/ QUOTE ]

I will echo this - the Satanic Verses begins very odd and is a struggle at the beginning, but overall was an excellent work - like a more intellectual Marquez. The depth of Rushdie's intellect and imagination are both incredible.

[/ QUOTE ]

I saw Rushdie speak at some speaker's series and he was great. Very intelligent and eloquent dude. Also, not surprisingly, pretty witty.