View Single Post
Old 07-25-2006, 02:59 PM

Default Re: What is everyone\'s favorite Non Strategy poker story book?

Because no one has yet mentioned it, "God Wants You to Roll" is a very good read.

It isn't neccesarily a poker book but one of the protagonists was a major force in So. Cal cardrooms for nearly half a decade due to pai gow play.

The story is about a scam run by two high school educated teenagers, one of whom becomes the pai gow demon. The scam victimizes churchgoers, hence the title.

The SoCal card room scene has a major supporting role in the story and you get frequent references to Flynt, Greenstein, Forrest, etc.

I liked "Poker Nation" more than most and it is a very fast read. The Amarillo Slim book that's been referenced is very entertaining though I am/was unaware of the pedophilia beef discussed above. The coverage of prop bets is great.

There's an anthology called "Read 'em and Weep" which covers several of the better known titles (Alvarez, Yardley, etc.). I've read other of Yardley's books and they're quite good.

"Positively Fifth Street" had both highs and lows. I was less fond of it than most but still very appreciative of the accomplishment. Anyone who orbits around McManus's station in life can empathize with the personal pressures to which he was subjected. I agree with the above opinion that the murder trial motif and his use of conjectured detail detracts from the book.

The Mezrich book is decent though a little overwrought and probably overrated. It too is a fast read.