View Single Post
Old 07-23-2006, 11:35 PM

Default Re: I make banks run out of hundreds

[ QUOTE ]

And yet, 35 years ago and about 500% inflation ago $20's where the standard high denomination bill and caused no trouble. $500's definitely need to be returned to circulation.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's pretty much what I was thinking.

A tank of gas can cost $50 or more for large-ish vehicles today.

If $20's were okay when a gallon of gas was $0.35 or $0.40 or so and a new-ish car was $1500-$2000 (making up those numbers, don't think they're that far off though) then why is it still a big deal at so many places to use a $100 in today's econmoic environment?

I find it especially strange at a grocery-store or someplace where I actually am making a purchase in the $70-$100 range...yet using a $100 bill to make a $100 purchase STILL is uncommon and/or not quite appropriate for some reason.

I suspect the answer is that more and more of today's purchases aren't made with cash anymore (check-cards and the like).

And this is the same reason why banks evidently sometimes don't have a lot of cash on hand (which is something I didn't know before).
Seriously, not many other people need that much cash on them.
Before poker I don't think I ever had much more than $200 or $300 on me at any time because I just never needed it.