View Single Post
Old 07-21-2006, 11:56 PM

Default Re: I have no idea what to do here...kind of long...end of rope stuff...

I was in much the same position in 2001. In my case, I had just gotten my own degree worth its weight in dung, could not find a job, and found out my longtime girlfriend had been cheating on me. Long story short, I actually do know how you feel right now and you're obviously depressed. If you can choose not to drink, great, because the other obvious part of your situation is that you're self-medicating. This is a bad thing, and will turn worse unless you curb it immediately.

None of us can really give you great advice because a) your situation, even explained at length, will never contain all the information needed, and b) you have to decide for yourself. That said, I want to make a few points:

1) If you don't want to be a lawyer, don't go to law school. It's too much money, too much time, and at the rate you're going you may fail out due to lack of motivation.

2) If you do want to be a lawyer, do it. If this is what really interests you, then the material and your classmates should be invigorating.

3) You don't need to go to law school to be successful. I know your degree sucks, my degrees suck too (both of them!), but masters programs often have graduate assistant positions that will take care of your tuition, making the degree much less expensive. I don't know that this is ever an option in law schools.

If you are an excellent student, going back to school could be very good for a number of reasons. I went to get my M.A. in criminal justice after getting a B.A. in psychology, and it was a great move. First I applied to be a graduate assistant, right around this time two years ago. Then I applied to be a residence advisor. I got the RA job immediately, and had free room and board. I got the GA job the next semester after impressing some professors, and that took care of tuition plus some extra money. I got back to campus and made some more friends. Regular interactions with people, even a little younger, helped a lot. I enjoyed studying interesting topics, improved my writing, did an internship, and turned an all but useless degree into something that is now allowing me to jockey for positions at the state and federal levels after deciding not to pursue a Ph.D. (which you may well consider).

I'm not trying to tell you what to do, I'm just trying to get you to discover what you really want. If you really want a law degree, it should be fairly clear. If not, consider your other options and just remember there are more than merely staying at the job you hate. Consider what things really interest you, what job you'd like to have in a few years, and I think you'll begin to have your answer.