View Single Post
Old 07-21-2006, 10:27 PM

Default Re: I have no idea what to do here...kind of long...end of rope stuff.

tim,

About a month ago I was drinking every night pretty heavily. On more than one occasion I passed out sitting on the couch, spilling my drink on myself but not even noticing until I awoke the next day. I would just get so bored at night, and decide to pop in a movie and have some drinks. Even though it didn't impact my social or financial life in any meaningful way, I decided it just wasn't healthy, and stopped drinking almost entirely. Looking back, its pretty obvious I was on a slide right to the bottom of the bottle.

I'm a lot happier and feel better now that I've stopped. I think the "You're an alcoholic, find help" responses to posts always sound a little self-righteous and invasive, but now that my perspective has changed a bit, I can't help but do the same thing. Take 2 or 3 days off of booze, 100%. Then see how you feel.

As for the dilemma for which you seek advice, I'd say stay in Chicago. If you go to school in GA, you're going to be just as miserable as you are right now, except you'll be miserable in the middle of Georgia with no car, instead of in Chicago.