View Single Post
Old 07-21-2006, 09:53 PM

Default Re: I have no idea what to do here...kind of long...end of rope stuff...

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm supposed to start law school in a couple weeks. I now have absolutely no motivation to go. I kind of didn't really want to go in the first place (when I was first applying), because I was going nowhere in life with crappy jobs and I wanted to do something with myself.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I've been floundering around for the past 2 years with crappy jobs.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I'm depressed and unmotivated.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Every day I feel I die a little bit and that I contribute nothing to anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I heard through a friend in HR that she put in a change form for a 10% increase, from 30k to 33k. This made me more pissed and dejected;

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I just can't get over how little, money-wise, they value me. It honestly offends me. Half of me wants to take that miserible 3k raise and wipe my ass with it;

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I drink pretty much every night. I know I'll stop the drinking when in school (I'm not an alci, just to depressed/bored to do anything else), which I really want to do.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tim,

Everything you've said above strongly suggests that you have a serious alcohol problem. You are depressed, unmotivated, easily bored, entitled, barely grateful for what you have, and have a habit of drinking every night. You are like the poster child for alcoholism. For all I know, your girlfriend was at the end of her rope as well, for I can't imagine that you were much fun to be around--and likely not interested in even considering the possibility that you had an alcohol problem.

I think that you are right to question whether you are in the proper frame of mind to be making such a huge change in your life right now as a relocation and entry into law school. However, you won't find the answer inside of a bottle. I hope you will consider quitting drinking TODAY. If you can't do it on your own, consider going to A.A.--assuming that you even care enough about yourself to get better.

Sincerely,

Dr. Chess

[/ QUOTE ]

Whoooaa there Dr. I really don't want this derailed into an advice column on alcholism. Drinking is the least of my worries here; it's just one thing to add to the ledger. I promise you there's nothing to worry about. I'm not in denial or whatever. I don't have to drink, I have no compulsion, I don't go through withdrawals if I stop drinking for a week or however long it takes.

My girlfriend treated me like garbage. I did everything to make her happy. Anyone that knows us can attest to that, and some of her friends have already told me she made them sick with this move.

Just to be clear here: I'm not an alcoholic. I couldn't fathom the idea of drinking in the morning or afternoon; the idea makes me gag. Please just take my word for it.