View Single Post
Old 07-20-2006, 06:08 PM

Default Re: FILM REVIEW: United 93

[ QUOTE ]

Most movies are made to be simple entertainment. But that doesn't mean all of them have to be. Some films are made to enlighten, to express an emotion...some are made for art's sake. And some are made as a collective catharsis...or maybe as a way to try and understand something completely incomprehensible to most of us.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't want to nitpick about your choice of words, but don't you still think that no matter what, a film should still be entertaining? Schindler's List, also about a true story, is an educational piece that enlightens, expresses emotions, I'd argue it is art, it also is a catharsis, and it is about something incomprehensible. But yet ... it's entertaining.

That was my issue with this film. I don't have a problem that it was made. I believe its story is true. I was just bored. For me, that's what sums up its experience: not evocative or causing me to question whether this happened (as, again, I believe it did) but I just ... was bored.

I go see (almost literally) every single movie that comes out (wide release that hits CT) with my friends and I can usually find things that entertain me about a lot of things. This just didn't entertain me at all.