View Single Post
Old 07-13-2006, 02:46 PM

Default Re: Results

First, DavidC and Caddy mentioned the idea of folding preflop. Folding in this spot with anything suited is what ive done most of my career. So why did I call? Well its becuz of 2+2ers like True. Here was my thought process preflop: "Im bored and wanna play, True says calling with anything suited getting 7-1 is a +EV play, screw it, im calling. Now on to the flop play.

Given the large pot size(4BB+ on the flop is considered large to me), the texture of the board, and the nature of the flop bettor, and the action that transpired, I believe that checkraising the flop is the unequivocal best play. When the pot gets large, I believe taking the line that maximizes our chances of winning this pot trumps any value strategy. When the last person to act bets this flop he can have many weak hands/draws. Judging from his stats, I believe he is loose enough, and aggressive enough to bet any straight draw on this board. For example: I dont see this guy folding 54s preflop even for 2 bets. So when the villain bet the flop, and the SB folded, I felt that checkraising to get the PFR out of the way was my best line here. My reasoning was, although I dont believe this guy will ever fold a pair, If he's betting somekind of a straight draw or flush draw, and I successfully isolate him with my flop raise, I will now get to win all the pots where we both miss our draws. So by checkraising the flop, I am already setting myself up for a very profitable river bluff, if the villain gets that far which I judged was likely. I believe this is the line that will win me the most pots in the long run, and I believed the potsize justified this line.

I would also like to add, that if the SB had called the flop, I would now just smooth call the flop cuz the chances of winning this pot unimproved are low enough to now simply play my hand for value and induce moe calls to pay off my draw when it hits. Another thing, If the flop had come out Qc 7c 2h, I would not checkraise the flop becuz the chances that my opponent has a made hand that he wont fold are too high to warrant such a play. In this scenario, I would call the flop and let the PFR make a loose peel. So board texture and the fact that the SB folded played an important role here for my flop decision. Okay now back to the action.

After I checkraised the flop and the PFR folded and the Flop bettor just called, betting the turn no matter what hit was mandatory becuz on rare occasions I'll get lucky and he'll fold, and most of the time when he calls the turn, I will still set myself up with a very profitable river bluff by keeping the aggressive initiative. So I bet, and he called.

The River: First I would like to say that I hated the turn card and the river card. If my opponent had a straight draw, he has to have atleast a pair now. This meant that the profitability of a river bluff has now been severly punctured. The villain can still have a higher flush draw or some other illogical unpaired hand that he shouldnt of bet the flop or called the turn with, but nonetheless, bluffing in this spot is a marginal play at best. However with 8 big bets in the middle, I still felt that betting here had to be +EV. Somehow I felt my opponent would fold more than 1/9 times but I could certainly be wrong.

Kwaz also mentioned the idea that the turn and river card were actually good cards for me if we look at the hand from the villains perspective, since he will have to be convinced that if we were on somekind of a draw we probably paired up also, meaning the villain is more likely to fold Ace-high/king-high type hands. I never looked at this hand from the villains perspective which is a mistake since we should always look at a hand from as many perspectives as possible.

Anyways, with so much money in the pot, and having only Ten high, I hopelessly fired the last barrel on the river. Several thoughts fleeted through my mind.... "Why did I have to call preflop to begin with? Curse all those 2+2ers and their love affair with suited trash! I hate True!" Then something miraculous happened. The villain folded, the pot shifted my way and I was a pro once again. Thank you 2+2, thank you True, thank you suited trash.