View Single Post
Old 09-23-2005, 02:47 AM

Default Re: Play a Hand With the Masters Results and Panel Comments

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
All in all I just think this hand was mismanaged. I think that not betting the flop was a nonrecoverable error.
The overall strategy though was the real disaster. Third level of a 10k buy in and we're risking our tournament on AJs? Really? Good luck with that approach. Argue all day whether or not a push v 5k makes a difference, it is a moot point. The fact that you're at that much risk with the worst of it, that early and it is all your own doing is horrible imo.

[/ QUOTE ]

One of the points of checking the flop was to keep the pot size small in an unclear situation, which is generally a good tournament strategy. Those who ended up with all their chips in the middle didn't exactly follow through on that strategy, but the concept was valid.

I really hate this idea of 'how could you risk your tournament on AJs' or 'how could you go broke with top pair' or whatever. Yeah, after the fact, you may not feel as good about yourself as if you had gone out with AA. But your favorable situations do not always show up on the doorstep complete with gift wrap; you have to take them as they come. And if you have a chance to make some money with AJs, then you should. There is no point at which you should say 'well, betting is the +EV play, but I'm not allowed to risk any more chips with AJs, so I have to fold.'

[/ QUOTE ]

I wonder how the villian would feel if you asked him "How could you risk so many chips with just 2nd pair?"