View Single Post
Old 09-23-2005, 02:21 AM

Default Re: Play a Hand With the Masters Results and Panel Comments

Well, unlike the masters, I had optioned to limp with position with the A/J suited. Yes, most times I'm going to raise. But it's early in the tournament, and I wouldn't mind the opportunity to hit a strong flop that is disguised by my lack of a pre-flop raise.

But, given the way the hand actually played out, here is what I recommended:

FLOP: It's been checked to you. You were the agressor pre-flop and we still don't have any information about our opponents hands. If we hit an Ace or Jack on the turn, it may be no good (potential for someone hitting a straight or having a dominating Ace)

As such, I advocated a continuation bet of 1,000-1,200. This should provide us with an opportunity to pick up the pot right now. And if we're called or raised, we gain valuable information and can avoid going broke on this hand.

TURN: Since we wound up actually checking, I smooth-call (after thinking for a bit) the CO's bet. I have a ton of outs, but don't need to committ half my chips on a draw with one card to come. If I hit the river, sweet, I might make some money (since the flush draw wasn't present on the flop). And if I don't hit, I still have plenty of chips for this level.

RIVER: Well, the 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] didn't help us, but it probably didn't help the CO either. He bet out and then called our raise. If he had K/J he would've re-raised with the possible flush draw out.

He's also checked the river to us, and as a "tight" player, would likely value-bet if he had a strong hand. I don't know what he has, but I know he's not fully confident in the strength of his hand. There's a lot of chips in the pot now, unfortunately, and the only way I can win them is to push. I believe the CO will fold to the push, since he doesn't seem too strong.

For those who don't care for risk as much, check it down and live to fight another day.