View Single Post
Old 07-05-2006, 01:06 PM

Default Re: AK vs a reraise (concept)

What you do with AK here is dependent of what you do with other hands. What do you do with 78s here? What do you do with TT? The answer to those questions should often have a large impact on what to do with AK here.

As previously stated, I will often call with position. If villian has been reraising me light (and is laggy) I will four-bet to 450ish often, and usually call a push. My VPIP/PFR is pretty high, so I get reraised often. A lot of aggressive players will notice this and r/r me light (99-AJ and better, I'd imagine [maybe some trash hands too]). Anyways, I will often just take a flop from position. If the raise is less than 10% of my stack, I'll usually take it with any two I would raise with (except face-card-face-card hands and hands that could be potentially dominated). From oop, I just lay it down like a girl. In order to play like this profitably, you have to play well post flop and be willing to get your money in on a lot of draws with FE, and bluff at times too.

As for AKs, I treat it entirely differently. I never fold AKs. Never. It is too good. You can make flushes. You can make straights. You can make high pairs. It is statistically the least likely hand to get in Hold'em. .. OK so I fold it SOMETIMES. But rarely. I will play it stronger, yes, and four-bet with it more often. There isn't really any detail to this, just that it looks very pretty and it widens my four-bet range.