View Single Post
Old 07-05-2006, 08:20 AM

Default The Squid and The Whale

Ive watched it three times since yesterday. This is one of the greatest movies ever made. The pacing of the movie is perfect.

Jeff Bridges and his Bill Murray-esque subtle, immature middle aged man performance is mind blowing. The dialogue for this movie is insanely well done. Jeff Bridges timing in the movie, his movements, its just perfect.

Laura Linney in the way she acts and deals with her two differnt sons. She treats her teenage son with respect, and sort of gives him room while not calling him out on some of his BS that he picked up from his father. Both of the sons in the movie are very good actors. They completely nail their roles.

Some of the best scenes in the movie are the way Jeff Bridges subtley insults everyone, like "well meaning but ultimately beaurocratic public school teachers", "phillistines..". Very, very funny. The scene where he gives his son $2 to get Tylennol, and its not enough money. He gives him $4 and then asks for change. When he goes to dinner with his son, and the gf gives him money for the bill and he just takes it. When he doesn't let the kids get out the car when he is looking for a parking space. When he tells his teenage son that the mother was having an affair, so subtley while we hear the other younger son cursing off screen while he plays tennis. He is cooking dinner for them while they sit in the other room, he screams "Dammit" and the young brother goes into the kitcheen and sees him picking the food off of the floor. When he is unfolding the couch and the following dialogue takes place:

Did you sleep on the couch last night?

Yeah, I did. The bed upstairs was killing my back.

Isnt the couch worse?

No.

I didnt think anyone could nail dialogue like this as well as Bill Murray, but honestly Jeff Bridges matches it.

The soundtrack is perfect, along the lines of The Royal Tennenbaums, Life Aquatic, and Rushmore.