Thread: Jarhead
View Single Post
Old 07-05-2006, 06:14 AM

Default Re: Jarhead

Miscast or not (he seemed fine to me), but did it strike you that his character was a psychopath? Last I read it is estimated that 1% of the population are psycopaths. If this is close to true, obviously the vast majority of psycopaths are not criminals. But one of the things this movie made me wonder was how many people in the service fall into this category?

That seemed to me almost the point of the movie. Also, I watched it on the on-demand channel where they interviewed real Marines afterwards. The words that were used to describe their experience was interesting. Yes there was a little fear, but mostly they seemed to remember excitement.

That seems weird to a pacifist like me. But it also got me thinking a little differently about soldiers. I'm the first one to admit that I am benefitted from the armed forces, but I always felt like the soldiers performing these duties had drawn a short stick. I didn't really think it was very probable that these guys could enjoy battle.

But this movie made me think a little differently. To me, that makes it a worthwhile movie. But it also really makes me curious how many of our modern day soldiers enjoy their work and why. Occasionally I'll get an email from someone who happens to mention the armed services, but I don't know their handles. Do we have any known soldiers actively posting on these forums?