View Single Post
Old 09-19-2005, 02:21 AM

Default Re: Play a Hand With the Masters #1

For me, it's close between limping and raising. Ordinarily, I'd be inclined to raise and would take a line very similar to McMelchior's. However, in this particular instance, I'd limp in hopes of flopping a big hand because the CO's limp appears very suspicious to me.

Given the CO's relative stack size and tight table image, one would think that he would win the blinds a high percentage of the time if he had raised w/ any 2 from his position ... and he most probably knows this. His limp seems like he's looking for action and I think it's more likely that he has a premium holding than a speculative one. While I admit his range for limping from the CO could be very wide and at the risk of seeming like I'm looking for monsters under the bed, my "gut" tells me he likely has AA-QQ or possibly AKs -- I just think that lesser pairs/suited connectors would be happy to win the blinds given the likelihood of overcards on the flop.

While limping with AJs on the button and allowing for a 4-way pot might appear weak, the pot is so small relative to the stack sizes that I see no immediate need to stick my neck out here ... but it's close. If CO's stack size was roughly equivalent to mine or had a looser table image, I'd be more inclined to take McMelchior's line and raise here.