View Single Post
Old 09-19-2005, 12:36 AM

Default Re: Play a Hand With the Masters #1

I would raise to around 550-650. My normal open raise on the button would be 400-450, but okay there is a limper. Raising to only 450 basically guarantees a call. I like to generally make raises that give my opponent a decision, instead of making poker easy for them. Raising to 550-650 should give the cutoff a difficult decision to make, whereas raising to 450 should convince the cutoff call the large majority of the time.

I think worrying about the cutoffs range is a bit much at this point. The stacks are so deep that he could have virtually anything. Even someone who seems tight may open limp with something like 74s from the cutoff seat with such deep stacks. Sometimes people start splashing around a bit more after the first hour anyway.

Calling preflop is OKAY and I'm sure I'd do it sometimes, but it's not my default play here. Everything is okay here from calling to raising less than I stated above or to making a larger raise. It's hard to go wrong, it's all a matter of style/image etc etc.

I'd say that folding or raising more than 1000 are where one can start to legitimately criticize the preflop play.