View Single Post
Old 06-23-2006, 01:26 PM

Default Re: Personality traits affect game (long)

I'll try to give you a more engaged answer -- but maybe even this isn't totally what you're looking for.

The first distinction, Rigid/Impulsive, is interesting and maps pretty closely to tight-aggressive vs. loose-aggressive. Your peripheral character traits pretty much match up to what I've seen over the years. (Some of them, in fact, are quite nicely done!) There is a LOT of literature out there about how to play against disciplined TAG players vs. free-wheeling LAG players. No big quarrels with what you say -- but it's already out there.

Your last two splits don't make sense to me. I've played poker intermittently since the 1970s at all kinds of levels, from giggly teens with quarters to WSOP contenders playing for scary amounts of money. I've never met a regular player who met your "timid" profile. People with personalities like that try the game twice, don't enjoy it, and go back to needlepoint. There are lots of people who play inconsistently -- jamming some pots too hard and running away from others that are winnable. But that's a whole different mental makeup.

And I've seen more blue unicorns than what you describe as "sensitive" players. Yes, there are jerks vs. good-natured people at the table -- and the good-natured ones will be happy to chat sports, ask you about your favorite movies, etc. They may even soft-play a little against a short-stack who's about to bust out, just so they aren't seen as the final bully in someone else's awful night. But when serious pots are at stake, even the friendly folks play to win.