View Single Post
Old 06-22-2006, 01:34 AM

Default Re: Why Do People Drive SUV\'s?

[ QUOTE ]
Most things in America are built for someone of about 5'9", but have to be built for the use also of women, who I've seen listed as having average heights in America of 5'2" to 5'5".

This makes everything from countertops to desks to, yup, cars anywhere from notably less than ideal to actually very uncomfrotable for a great many men. At 6'2", I've been uncomfortable in most cars I've been in when in the front seat, and of course we all know how awful back seats can be. It's one reason why long car trips make me super grouchy -- I feel achy and b*tchy about it after hours of sitting scrunched around like a pretzel.

SUV's are a real pleasure to be in for a tall person. You finally feel like the world is built for you rather than to an average that really isn't all that friendly to your height. It's great to be comfortable for a change!

When people spend the kind of money they are willing to spend on things like SUV's, they're sorely tempted to buy something they're actually comfortable in. People often adore their cars and take them as extensions of themselves and their sense of fun or style -- who wants to be feeling less than great in his car? So for reasonably tall men, of which they are countless millions in America, it just feels good to sit in an SUV and feels surprisingly crummy to sit in so many othter perfecly nice -- and even preferable in many ways -- cars.

[/ QUOTE ]

i take it you passed over the "Dirk Nowitzki drives a Mini Cooper" post. apparently not all small cars are small on the inside.