View Single Post
Old 06-20-2006, 04:16 PM

Default Re: TJ Cloutier\'s new book

[ QUOTE ]
well... deliberate misinformation might be a bit of a stretch, but I think its at least a possibility. I mean have you actually read that book. I've never played with TJ, but I know he's done very well, and is supposed to be a very good, and tough player. His book is pathetic. I think its at least possible that he wrote about playing in a style that he would most like his opponents to play.

As I said though, it very well could be a stretch, but I at least think its not impossible. Consider if you were TJ, and you thought your book would sell well, and you didn't care at all how good the book was. WHy not write it and instruct people to play in a horribly weak/tight fashion that is increadibly easy to exploit. I'll bet very often TJ is at a table with some amatuer who says he's read, and loves his book. TJ already made some $$ from selling that player the book, and he'll make way more from them when he plays against them, since they're going to fold anytime he makes a strong play at any pot and they don't have the nuts.

[/ QUOTE ]
It is true that both TJ and coauthor McEvoy are very tight players.

I do think it is disinformation. You hate to accuse people of stuff, but it is pretty obvious.

When I started playing tournaments, it was one of the few books out there, so I think a lot of people did read it.

The best use of the book was detailed by McManus in his book. He told TJ he read the book. Then he TJ bluffed off his chips to McManus doubling him up and giving McManus the lead in the WSOP ME. McManus said he knew TJ knew McManus had read the book, so he played the hand the opposite of how the book reccommended. I don't know if McManus consciously viewed TJ's book as misinformation, but he certainly exploited it.