View Single Post
Old 01-15-2006, 06:38 PM

Default Re: Luck Variance Factor

I believe the only real luck factor in poker are how the cards are dealt. The rest is skill only.

You can however make the luck factor smaller or bigger.

If you choose a game where there are less % of showdowns, then there should be less of a luck factor since you don't always have to rely on your cards. For example Omaha "should" induce more showdowns than holdem since more cards involved in the game.

Another way to reduce the luck factor is to choose a game where you can play many hands, or rather play to win money many times. For example cash games where you win/lose money each hand.

In tournaments you have to play more hands to get to the money i.e. it takes longer. Also if you get to the money and want to place better so you win more money you don't have that many hands to make your moves on. You can't wait too long to get good hands since the blinds increase and you are out when you lose your stack. If you choose the right tournaments the reward are good though.

Don't confuse luck factor with earning money though. The game with the smallest luck factor does not necessarily mean best ROI. For example in higher stakes hold'em (cash games) there "should" be less of a luck factor since fewer players go to showdown but you are also most likely playing against more skillful players so it's probably harder to win money.

I don't think you should choose your game based on the luck factor. I think it's more important to choose based on bankroll, ROI and skill factor (and many other things). Regardless of which game you play you have to have knowlage about the probabilitys of how the cards are dealt (i.e have knowlage about the luck factor) so you know how much you can bet, call and so on. The money are made when you play against players who are less skillful than you are.