View Single Post
Old 06-17-2006, 05:22 PM

Default US - Italy World Cup Soccer - one of the games of our time

I posted this in OOT because I think the game has more of a cultural impact than only simple sports impact.

It was kind of like US Olympic Hockey in 1980 against the Russians in the semis. Or like when the Bills came back from down 31 at the half agasint the Houston Oilers in the 1993 Wildcard game.

The European refs were in the can, the huge contingent European fans wanted us dead, the Italians were playing dirty football with all the [censored] diving and offsides. The US just sucked it up last week, I think, caue they were intimated by the Germany experiance and the bias of the local Europeans.

The US were the BIG BIG DOGS in this fight, more than I realized before.

Italy scores first? Almost a knock out punch, but we kept fighting, like Americans do.

Then the US Scores ---GOOOAAALLL.

Then the unthinkable happens, Red Card to Italy and the US has a man advantage 11 to 10. WE CAN WIN THIS.

Then the refs strike back, red card , I think 10 - 10. Then the worst call in the history of sports happens when the US gets their second Red card. 9 to 10. Unreal. I just saw a graphic that said no team has ever scored with 9 players. Crapola.

For the US to get a tie when we had all of those things against us was a really timley thing to happen to the US at this point in history.

Discuss.