View Single Post
Old 06-17-2006, 02:52 PM

Default Re: Best Cover Songs

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
One thing I hate about some covers is that they are played too faithfully, like note for note, to the original. If you're not going to bring anything new to the song, don't frigging play it.

The aforementioned STP verison of Dancing Days is one of those for me.

Grand Funk's version of The Locomotion is better than the original. Genesis' version of You Can't Hurry Love is great. And of course Manfred Mann's Earth Band's cover of Blinded By The Light blew the original Springsteen away. GNR's version of Knockin' on Heaven's door is a good version. Pearl Jam's version of that car wreck tune (can't recall the title) is good.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Pearl Jam cover is called "Last Kiss" and it was originally done by Wayne Cochran & the C.C. Riders. They had little success with it, but Frank Wilson and The Cavaliers covered it in 1964 and it was a number one hit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Last Kiss is good regardless and its quite sad (made so worse by a friend dying in a car crash right around its release and us getting a radio station to dedicate that song to her hourly)

...but I think Briank McKnights cover of "Crazy Love" is better than the original...