View Single Post
Old 06-12-2006, 05:22 PM

Default Re: bluffing into 5 people

All,

First, i would never do this on a TT3 board, as it is so much more likely that a T is out there than a 4.

Second, I am not necessarily representing trips: it's not likely I have them and representing trips doesnt work well at all in general.

I am representing a hand like 77-99: likely the best hand, but one that needs protection. I don't think a lot of people will call me with 55-99, when the pot is already reasonably large and most of them will be OOP for the rest of the hand: what kind of turn will they be calling for? I think they are much more likely to call on TT3 with 55-99 because they know I will be scared of the T and therefore slow down (=cheap showdown for them), whereas they can't expect me to be scared of the 4.

Remember, exactly because I am betting into 5 people I am looking very strong here. I don't think that those who are saying here that my bet looks like a bluff, would ever check raise a bettor into 5 people with air because 'he bet so strong'. Even if you wanted to, you would still have to worry about all the other players left to act.

Last, someone said that overcards might look me up. Do you really think so? With so many people left to act? Only maybe the two people to my right, since they are potentially closing the action, but even for them it looks bad: they will be OOP the rest of the pot and the price on the flop is heavy.

Obviously, this move is not working every time and it's hard to figure if it works often enough to make it profitable in this spot. It deed feel like it would be a good move though, so I was happy when they all folded pretty quickly.

I couldnt resist showing (though I hardly ever show online), thought it might set something off. Next hand I flop nuts with QJ and get it in vs a 3/4 stack with bottom two, but well, I probably didnt need to show my bluff to get action on that hand anyway. Never so sure about showing. Probably counterproductive since it hurts your FE and I more often want people to fold than to call.

Thanks for the advice,

Marnix