View Single Post
Old 06-12-2006, 06:42 AM

Default Slansky- Preflop raises should differ based on the hand

I am about halfway thru Slansky's new no limit book. I am looking for comments on his suggestion that preflop raises should differ based on the type of hand you have. I primarily play cash games with avg stacks of 100 bb. I make my raises based on the number of limpers, my position and how the table has been playing.
Sometime there is some drunken tard who will call a 200 dollar raise preflop (I play 5/10 NL) when I have aces so I won't mess around rasing with suited garbage in a game like that. Sometimes the table is tight as hell and 35 will get a table full of folds(time to leave) However I do not see any benefit in raisng more with aces etc. I play many people who will raise to 20-30 all night, Then all of the sudden they will make it 60 to go (always with aces or kings). I would rather have a hand like 55 here than when they make it 30 because I know they have Aces, will never fold them and I will stack them when I hit the 5. BY the same token when they raise to 30 and it comes 8 high I will raise there continueation bet with my 55 b/c they probably missed their AK. It seems to me they are making their hands transparent, without the benefit of dramatically cutting down on implied odds.
There are rare times when a game is so juicy my raises will not always be the same for 2 reasons:
1) The players are so bad raisng for deception is useless. So why would I raise with a 78s etc when nobody will ever fold anything preflop or on the flop?
2) There is a drunken tard who will call a huge overbet preflop( sometimes even an all in). In this case Ill completly overbet my monsters because instead of getting 5 callers for 50 I will get 1 tard to call 300 (or more) preflop.

I would love it if Slansky responded to this post, as he is a big reason I have made money in this game. I will say that I have not finished the book yet, so maybe upon its completion I will feel differnetly, but I appreciate anyones thoughs on the manner.