Thread: Programmers
View Single Post
Old 06-10-2006, 11:03 AM

Default Re: Programmers

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
imo, it's easier to learn C (which features more complicated things like pointers) and then learn Java than the other way around. Java has a lot of things which it kinda does "magically" to make things easier for the programmer; it's easier to learn memory management from the C perspective, where you're dealing directly with memory, than it is to learn Java's cookie cutter reference stuff and then have someone tell you "ok, remember everything you learned about references in Java? Forget about it" when you have to learn C.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this. I learned java first had a hard time managing memory in C/C++, the difference between the . operator and the -> operator, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand this opinion. Does Java's automatic garbage collection somehow make it harder to learn to manually manage memory in C++?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think they realizee that many people who learn C++ as their first language also have a hard time managing memory and understanding the difference b/t the . and the -> operator.

Maybe if learning Java first causes someone to be even more frustrated when learning pointers.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's a case of being easier to go from C++ to Java than from Java to C++. It's sort of the same argument about learning to drive on a stick vs. learning to drive on an automatic.