View Single Post
Old 06-05-2006, 10:45 AM

Default Re: Showdown on a checked river

[ QUOTE ]
Robert's Rules clearly states that if everyone checks the river, the first to check is the first to show their cards.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, it matches the required order of action- left of the button around the table. If, however, there was a bet/raise on the river, the last bet/raise made (not called) determines who shows first.

"This same type of situation occured at a recent home game, and although I wasn't at the table, I was asked my opinion. Players at the table insisted on seeing player 1's cards, as he was first to act. In my opionion, by showing his cards first, player 2 forfeited his option to see player 1's cards (he could have waited for player 1 to show first as is the rule.) I think some of the players were under the assumption that player 2 earned a showing by actions on previous betting rounds (calling player 1's flop bet for example).

Any thoughts on the situation?"

By checking, Player 1 has "called" a "bet" on the river. Any hands that make it to the showdown stage can be turned up, against their owners' will, if ANYONE who was in the hand originally requests it.

It's generally considered bad form to request to see the mucked hand. However, if Player 1 is known for stalling to avoid having to show, then I would call for his hand to be exposed.

Now, if Player 1 mucked to a river bet, or mucked immediately on the river before Player 2 could check himself, then technically I believe Player 1's hand could not be shown.