View Single Post
Old 06-02-2006, 02:01 PM

Default Re: Peaceful Warrior

actually, i have read some of the reviews of the da vinci code, and was not impressed. i have watched a great number of programs on television and been interested in the concept. Although i was a voracious reader in the past, i have found that my old eyes rebel at sitting down to even a good book. perhaps it is too many years of watching well lit computer screens.

as far as long term impact...my guess is this will have more than the da vinci code. there is more here to actually apply to everyday life. while it focuses on the growth of a gymnast, it applies to all people.

this movie, the peaceful warrior, is an entertaining story, and what i have heard the da vinci code movie is a bit of a yawner. just the gymnastic sequences are fun to watch for anyone who enjoys the sport.

i am finding that there is a common ground when people have seen the same movie. it is somewhat of a shortcut...you know what they have seen and you have seen it too...all that is left is to iron out the details of what you liked or didn't like...or whether you agree. contrasted to when only one has seen the movie, and you have to start from scratch in explaining.

in fact, i mentioned that fact to one of the producers as perhaps one of the biggest reasons for having philosophical movies in the mainstream...it is important to have things like this in the cultural mainstream.

the beginning of the movie had some of the most intriguing special effects and visual literary devices that are important in advancing the plot and the message... dream/reality, service/greed, love/fear are difficult emotions and concepts to bring to the movie screen. although there are some occasions when it seems they go over the top with the dramatic moments, incredibly, the movie doesn't get too syrupy. it could stand about 5 minutes of cuts that would omit any overly dramatic moments.

I was hoping to write a review and be able to encourage people to see the film...and while i do endorse the film, i find i cannot really write a review without seeing it at least one more time.