View Single Post
Old 06-02-2006, 06:43 AM

Default Re: religion and faith (also long)

[ QUOTE ]
I think your view is fine. I also think it's inconsistent with Christianity.

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps inconsistent with medieval Christianity. Not remotely incompatible with the kind that gets shared around at our church.

I accept that having a jealous and vengeful God is not peaches and cream new agey. But you're leaving out the other side: the God who is love. Not occasionally has a burst of love in between angry spells. Is love.

So if he really is love, and he tells you that some actions are going to be very bad for you, you do well to avoid them. That's all. It doesn't make him mean or domineering, it just means he has a better idea than you do about what is good for you. If you are a parent you probably understand how this works, if not, I can see how it might appear contradictory.

And if he recommends you live the kind of life Davidious described, then you do well to have a go.

BTW it's not quite right that "It doesn't matter what kind of life you've lived". Jesus tells a very pointed story about two sons asked to do some work for dad. One says sure, then goofs off, and the other says get lost, but ends up going and doing it anyway. Moral: you show what you really believe by what you do.