View Single Post
Old 05-30-2006, 05:11 PM

Default Re: bay 101 new spread limit game?

I can confirm and provide some details as I played yesterday:

Starting yesterday 5/29 they were starting the signup for their spread limit game that was supposed to start at 9am. I was there for the 9:45 am tournament and signed up and played before and after the tournament (my poker claim to fame could be that I won the very first cash spread limit pot at Bay 101 [at least in this iteration of cash game spread limit, I don't know if bay 101 used to have spread limit in the distant past], I was big blind with 92 of hearts and everyone folded to me for a profit of $3. lol). They have two limits, with yesterday 1 table of each:

2-2-4 spread limit 4-100, 100 max buy, 40 min buy (blinds are button, sb, bb). There is no minimum to enter the pot (you can limp, and yesterday there was a lot of limping). At any point you can bet any amount between $4 and $100 (except you have to raise at least the previous bet unless you are a raise all in for an amount less). The collection is supposed to be $4 pot if there are 7 or more players and either there is a flop or an opening bet. That is even if the action goes folds, bet, all fold and no flop is dealt there is still supposed to be a full $4 collection. Yesterday the dealers were pretty bad about collecting the full $4 in that situation and often only collected $1 but the floor was very clear and aggressively correcting the dealers that the full $4 drop goes in that situation. If there are 6 players the drop is $3 instead of $4. If there are 5 or less players the drop is $1. All fold to the big blind is $1 collection. All fold to the small blind who agrees with the big blind to a chop is $1 (who got the extra $1 in this chop situation changed based on dealer, sometimes it was sb closer to the button sometimes it was bb). No 3-way chopping. People are allowed a one-time short buy if they bust. People (including dealers and some of the floor) weren't sure what you'd have to post if you moved through the blinds or missed your blinds, and typically just waited for the blinds to arrive to keep things simple. New players posted $4. You can't buy the button when you come in new (and presumably if you come in after missing blinds). Live straddling of $8 was allowed and tried a couple of times. For the $100 buying you usually got $80 in yellow $5 chips and $20 in blue $1 chips. The dealers were definitely getting a work out as I don't think they had much training on the new game and remembering to always give change to the blinds (who often blinded a $5 chip then limped (get back $1) or folded (get back $1 on bb, $3 on sb and button)) while taking the correct drop and enforcing the max buy-in cap was challenging.

2-3-5 spread limit 5-200, 200 max buy, 50 min buy (blinds are button, sb, bb). Same as above, I think, but I was playing the $100 game.

During the spread limit tournament generally there was a full table with a few people on the board. Once the tournament was over we usually had no board and 7 or 8 people at the table. Sign up is with the low limit board (the 2-4 through 8-16 hold em sign up place). Judging by the table talk a lot of the people in the $100 game were 6-12 and 8-16 limit players. Although with it being a holiday Monday I don't know what that will be like usually.

While the tournament was going on the play was bad loose agressive. After the tournament and for most of the day yesterday the play was bad loose passive. Lots of people would not bet enough to price out draws and would call large bets with dubious holdings. Like, not even TPTK stacking off to sets and two pair but inside straight draw with 1 card to come or middle pair bad kicker stacking off to top pair. I'm mainly a recreational low limit online SNG player and occasional live tournament player; cash games and cash game NL is not my forte (I was only really playing because my hard drive crashed and I'm without personal non-work computer for a week), but I left the $100 max buy in with over $1000 after ~6 hours yesterday and felt both my luck and personal quality of play was normal (although I did drop $100 pre-tournament and lost my $120 buyin to the tournament so the net was only ~+$750 for the day). Although there was the odd decent player, I'd say at all times yesterday at least 1/2 the table was super fishy (and most of the fishy players would rebuy a number of times after busting, so it wasn't a 1 and done situation). From a couple of glances over the play at the $200 max buy in table was a little less "family pot" oriented but didn't seem super tough either. Again, although, the caveat is that it was a holiday so the typical non-holiday play may be different. Also there were a few table confrontations and floor confrontations (and one player might have been given a temporary ban or something) going on at the $200 table. I think they were fighting over angle shooting and new player mistakes with people bringing a large stack of chips in their hand over the line, dropping some-but-not-all of the chips into the pot for a raise, or else putting in a $100 chip facing a smaller bet and saying/not saying raise or saying raise but waiting for a while to say how much and others folding and acting on the action as if it was a raise to $100. The mood at the $100 table shifted between a pretty friendly and sociable table and a pretty quiet table and was never uncomfortable or hostile while I was there.